like many government agencies, hrsa provides only a sas importation script and an ascii file. this new github repository contains two scripts:
2011-2012 arf - download.R
- download the zipped area resource file directly onto your local computer
- load the entire table into a temporary sql database
- save the condensed file as an R data file (.rda), comma-separated value file (.csv), and/or stata-readable file (.dta).
2011-2012 arf - analysis examples.R
- limit the arf to the variables necessary for your analysis
- sum up a few county-level statistics
- merge the arf onto other data sets, using both fips and ssa county codes
- create a sweet county-level map
for more detail about the area resource file (arf), visit:
the arf may not be a survey data set itself, but it's particularly useful to merge onto other survey data.
confidential to sas, spss, stata, and sudaan users: time to put down the abacus. time to transition to r. :D